Tuesday 2 April 2013

Kitchiri- yummy

My first try at making Kitchiri on the weekend did not go as planned.  I sort of improvised with the recipe and well - not good.  Good rule of thumb don't improvise until you actually know what it is supposed to turn out like.

So tonight I did it by the book...but the book is missing some key information like temperature and that you need to remove the bay leafs at the end.  The book I speak of is the recipe found in my last/first post on Kitchiri.  So slight improvisation was actually necessary.

I have pictures which you will see below and yes that is steam in the pics so they are hot off the press - LOL.

The smell is amazing; a mix of fresh ginger, coriander, turmeric and oregano. Not the usual mix of olfactory and gustatory stimulants that you would find in my kitchen but very pleasant none the less.  The first taste was...HOT...I really should have let it cool more.  I think I may have burnt my tongue...oh well.

Second taste...it's actually kind of bland...which I wasn't expecting given all the rather pungent spices in the mix. The mung beans do not seem to have a distinctive taste...given the name and what it rhymes with (dung) I am really glad that it doesn't taste. LOL

So tomorrow is the start of the 5-7 day cleanse that my Ayurvedic Health person advised... Kitchiri, water and teas and if I want something else... lightly seemed root vegetables...I'll let you know how it goes as it goes.

Step 1: adding most of the spices to the hot oil, and yes the smell was fantastic


Step 2: Adding the turmeric, rice, mung beans (washed and soaked for 6 hrs) and the water



Step 3: after that boiled down on low-med heat for about 30 min added the carrots and celery for another 15 (probably should of been 10 - started to burn)




Step 4: Mix it all in turn heat to low and let it simmer for a bit



Final product:


Namaste,

Amber

Update April 7/13: So I managed 2 full days but well...bland was only part of the problem. With the large amount of gasses my body has been producing  from eating all those beans...the discomfort was...well discomforting to say the least. So I took a break today - for the whole day! I am thinking about 1 day on 1 day off till Thursday...but well see how I feel tomorrow.

Love and Laughter (LL)

Amber

No comments:

Post a Comment