Saturday 1 June 2013

June - 30 day push-up challenge - Day 30

Time to find a new 30 day challenge..yeah I know I have the 100 Mile Dirt in Your Skirt" running challenge going on but that is an all summer thing. I need something for June...PUSH-UPs seemed the logical transition...doing the plank has given me the confidence to do this one...yes starting with a beginner challenge as form is important and I am not willing to overdue this and hurt myself...it's a challenge...not punishment! LOL.

I wrote that and immediately realized I do think of a push-up as punishment...hmmmm wonder where that came from....worst gym teacher ever that is where!!!!  Well time to move beyond that punitive experience and do this for me. Who knew push-up would be breaking down old preconceived notions...C-R-A-Z-Y...also speaks to the influence of "teachers" on our attitudes and self-limiting talk...thank-god for great teachers but as for the other ones - go find another job...ok that is it for my rant...back to the task at hand.



So there are a couple of ways to do push-ups but I am sticking with the basic...maybe more complex for another challenge...anyway...basic form and information on other variations (clap, diamond, scorpion, Spiderman and one-arm) can be found in many places but I like this all in one resource http://www.wikihow.com/Do-a-Push-Up . Even the basic has 3 variations (close-hand, regular and wide armed) and you should pick the one most comfortable to you.  Lets review basic position (below is from the link above)...


Assume the Position

  1. 1
    Assume a prone position on the floor or other rigid surface (preferably carpeted-more on that later) that's able to support your body weight. Keep your feet together!

  2. 2
    Position hands palms-down on the floor, approximately shoulder width apart. If you are on a relatively cushioned surface, such as a carpeted floor, you may also support yourself on your fists between the first and second knuckles for a greater challenge. If you are on a less forgiving surface, consider investing in some pushup grips (they look like handles you put on the floor.) Curl your toes upward (towards your head) so that the balls of your feet touch the ground.

  3. 3
    Raise yourself using your arms. At this point, your weight should be supported by your hands and the balls of your feet. Make a straight line from your head to your heels. This position is called a "plank," which is used for other various exercises. This is the beginning and the end position of a single push-up.

  4. 4
    Lower your torso to the ground until your elbows form a 90 degree angle. Keep your elbows close to your body for more resistance. Keep your head facing forward. Try to have the tip of your nose pointed directly ahead. Draw a breath as you lower yourself.

  5. 5
    Raise yourself by attempting to push the ground away from you.

    Breathe out as you push. The power for that push will inevitably come from your shoulders and chest. The triceps (the muscle on the back side of your upper arm) are also contracted but the primary exercise for the triceps isn't the push-up. Continue the push until your arms are almost in a straight position (but not locked).

    • Repeat steps 4 and 5 for the remainder of the exercise.

Basic Push Up Variations

  1. 1
    Pick the type of pushup that works best for you. There are actually three types of basic push up variations that use different muscles. Note: The closer your hands are together the more you will engage your triceps and chest, the wider apart the more you will engage your chest. [2]

    • Closest-hand
    • Regular
    • Wide-arm.


Day 1 - June 1 - yes still finishing off my 30 day Ab Challenge (2 more days to go with that - but no reason not to start this too...RIGHT????  3 push-ups sounds easy enough...OMG so not - alright I will admit it - I can't do even 1 regular push-up...so went to the "girls" push up...even that was not easy...the was nothing graceful about any of it - ended each on the floor, lower back and abs feel jello-ie (might be from the 110 seconds of plank and the rest from the Ab Challenge) but wow I have very little strength in my upper body and arms...really need to work on that...so the plan will be to attempt a regular push up(s) each day and if necessary to go to the "girl" version...what is the "girl' version...watch this video from youtube...Day 1 complete, and eyes opened...wow and I thought plank was a challenge...gonna be an interesting 30 days.



Day 2 - still not able to do any full push-ups, but did my 4 push-up girl style.  Noticed the muscles in my shoulders for sure.  

Day 3 - yeah did this first thing this morning - felt a little better - still no full push up but 5 girly ones done.  Tomorrow is a rest day...works for me.

Day 4 - Rest Day

Day 5 - still no full push up - somewhat disappointed in myself but gotta get over it, I am going to add in arm/shoulders at the gym on Tuesday/Thursday as apparently I have no upper body strength, so since tomorrow is Thursday will need to do that. Did my 5 girly push-ups, still not pretty but they are done.

Day 6 - today on day 6 was 6 push ups - all girl style - done.

Day 7 - 7 whole push-ups done girl style - still can't manage 1 regular - tomorrow is a rest day so no update ***Forgot to actually updated this day so your hearing about it on Day 9

Day 8 - Rest day

Day 9 - repeat the 7 - and its done -  felt a little easier - maybe this is working - lol

Currently behind 2 days will start back up with Day 10 tomorrow - headed to bed.

Day 10 - 8 push ups - done all girl style and yeah I know 2 days behind - but they are done - no excuses! LOL  is it bad that I would rather do that Ab challenge again then this...guess that means I should stick this one out. 

Day 11 - 9 push-up done girl style - skipping the rest day since already had some rest in this set - then will only be 1 day behind - have missed a few days of postings but push-ups still done.

Day 12 - a non-rest day - skipped due to being behind went right to Day 13

Day 13 - did my 9-girl pushups - gonna try to do day 14 tonight before bed then tomoorow will be caught up.

Day 14 - done my 11 girl push ups before bed the same day as Day 13.  So am now caught up - my right shoulder is not happy (last few were shaking on the right side) but they are done.

Day 15 - actually on day 15 of the month - caught back up - YAY!!!!  Did the 12 after my run.  Right shoulder was again where I felt it - I think tomorrows rest day is needed.  

Day 16 - REST DAY  - Wooooph - need more like this one - LOL

Day 17 - another 12 girly push ups bite the dust - this is not getting easier...<.I hate push ups> "1",< I hate push ups> "2"....okay change the mental tape to more positive...< I don't hate push ups> "3", < I don't dislike push ups > "4", < I like push ups> "5" <okay now I'm just lying to myself> "6", <I can do push ups> "7-12" - lol

Day 18 - well a pretty crappy day personnally but still did my push ups - all 14 done girl style

Day 19 - 15 done right before bed...very glad tomorrow is a rest day...and I have an appointment with the chiropractor since my back is out and I hurt from tip to top...the massage to loosen things up first will be BLISS!!!!

Day 20 - REST Day

Day 21 - another 15 day and again done right before bed - hence the late update - gonna try and do Day 22 earlier and get on track with the updates.

Day 22 - again did my 16 girl push ups right before bed...so updating this morning - now I am going to go do my Day 23 and just get them done

Day 23 - 17 girly push ups done - and tomorrow is a rest day

Day 24 - was a rest day

Day 25 - repeating the 17 again - and done - still not easy - but I get through them!

Day 26 - 18 girly pushup  - done - but I still hate them

Day 27  - did the 19 first thing this morning - was better then it had been the whole challenge so far...maybe I should just get them done first thing.  Tomorrow is a rest day.

Day 28 - Rest day

Day 29 - repeated 19 just before bed - 1 more day to go...what to do next????

Day 30 - And the end has come...20 girly pushup done...but now what...considering a combo...squats, planks and push-ups - all the things I love to hate...stay tuned will post a july challenge sometime tomorrow.

Namaste
LL
Amber

No comments:

Post a Comment