Thursday 3 July 2014

Run Less Run Faster - 16 week Half Marathon training

I am doing the "Run Less Run Faster" 16 week Half Marathon Training Program.  If you want the program buy the book it has great advice and explains not only the how but why as well.

Below will just be my personal experiences with the various days in the training program.  I started the program on July 1, 2014 and will finish a few weeks before the Las Vegas Rock 'n' Roll Half Marathon.  During this time I have a 10k race and another half marathon I will also be running but I will attempt to keep those at training pace vs. race pace to ensure I don't over extend myself as per this program....already paid for them otherwise I wouldn't be doing them as the program suggests one not tempt the race pace. :)


With this program there are 3"Key Runs" per week, 2 cross training days and up to 2 rest days or other cross training non-run days. The program is very specific about the 3 and 2 approach so that is what I will be doing.  Cross training for me will be on my bike and runs will be as dictated by the program with each week repeating type but not the actual same run or distance.

Please note for myself, my warm up and cool down are done is outside of the "Key Run" but still part of reported mileage total.

Run 1 = Track Repeats
Run 2 = Tempo Run
Run 3 = Long Run

Week 1/16

Key Run 1 - Track Repeat: Thanks to my new Garmin Forerunner 620 I was able to put the distance in and go for a run anywhere and when the distance was done I took my 90 rest.  I had forgotten to set my Garmin up (just got it and this was the first run with it) so that it auto paused so this totally messed with my overall time and pace but the effort fell like it was all out and my heart rate (HR) confirmed that.  Total mileage = 4.17 miles or 6.71 km

Cross Training: Planned but did not do - spent day doing yard work instead.

Key Run 2 - Tempo Run:  Wow with the heat and humidity today even my mid-morning (930am) start time didn't help to keep this run cool.  The easy miles before and after were done at a fast walk pace as that got my heart rate right up there, and the Short Tempo miles were not my best but by HR I was going about as fast as I could...amazing how heat and humidity can slow you down but still raise the HR.  Total mileage = 7.27 miles or 11.70 km.  A mile and a bit more than intended but ended up on the far end of the park and had to walk back to the car still.  :) And as a side note I got sun burnt on my morning run...CRAZY!

Cross Training: Yeah didn't happen-still feeling the effects of the heat...moving long run from Saturday to Sunday to make sure the heat didn't do too much damage - not used to running in it - -25C I can do - that is just winter gear but +30C and humid - can't take off any more gear :)

Key Run 3 - Long Run: long slow run...temp +21 -24C, slight breeze - much better than Thursday. 9.32 miles or 15km in total

Week 1 total - 20. 76 miles or 33.41 km

Week 2/16

So far no running this week - turns out I have a major infection in my mouth, lots of pain, inflammation and tomorrow a trip to the dentist for my b-day (wow not what I had planned to do)...got antibiotics this morning (July 9)at the ER and feeling a bit better now - but not going to do anything but curl up on the couch with an ice pack and some NSAIDs and catch up on Cosmo's (Documentary).  Hopefully by Friday I will be back to running and pain free (fingers crossed).

No comments:

Post a Comment